PHMB-HCH refers to a class of polymeric antimicrobial agents
based on guanidine.
The distinctive feature of PHMB-HCH is the presence of several
guanidine groups in a molecule that enhances its bactericidal
The lethal action of PHMB-HCH is the irreversible destruction of
important cellular components of viruses and bacteria because of
cytoplasmic membrane damage. Lethal sequence is a number of
physiological and cytological changes in a cell that include:
- The strong attraction PHMB-HCH to the surface of bacteria;
- The attachment to receptive areas on the surface;
- The overcoming of bacterial defence mechanism;
- Bringing to the cytoplasmic membrane;
- The leaking-out of cytoplasmic components with low molecular
weight (e.g., potassium), and inhibition of enzymes contained in
the membrane (e.g., adenosinetriphosphatase);
- An extensive destruction of cytoplasmic membrane, efflux of
macromolecular components (e.g., nucleotides);
- The landing of the cell content.
Besides, if to compare to PHMB-HCH, increased content of
nitrogen in the molecule of poly-hexamethylene-biguanide makes it a
perspective product used for fireproofing composition, where the
main mechanism of the product action is the evolution of nitrogen
gas in the process of melting in the seat of the fire.
The main application fields of PHMB-HCH
- Substances for the production of disinfectants, preservatives,
bactericides, antimicrobial reagents, biocidal additives. VANTOCIL
is the best-known imported germicide based on PHMB-HCH;
- The base for the production of fungicides (antifungal)
- The usage in the medical and veterinary disinfection,
disinfection in the food industry, disinfection of ventilation and
air conditioning, disinfection of railway transport and subway,
disinfection of municipal facilities, children's and educational
- Cleaning and disinfection of water, including centralized and
decentralized drinking water consumption, drinking and industrial
water during transportation over long distances, the water
back-systems for technical and drinking water;
- The disinfection of premises surfaces, equipment, containers
and auxiliary equipment;
- As one of the main components of composite impregnating
fire-retardant agent for the biological fire defence of wood
materials and fabric.
The commodity form of PHMB-HCH delivering in a private company
"Termite" is a clear 20% solution with acidity pH=4-6, which is
packaged in any convenient for the consumer plastic containers with
a capacity from 10 to 1000 litters.
The product quality is ensured by constant control of the
production-measuring laboratory of the company, which is certified
by the public enterprise "Rivnestandartmetrologiya" to carry out
measurements outside the scope of state metrological control.
In each production-run the final content of the monomer -
hexamethylenediamine is monitored by vapor-liquid chromatography
and doesn't exceed 0,05%.